I’m sorry for the quiet lately, I don’t like to leave you all hanging. I don’t really have an excuse – I should have been blogging. I’ve been off work since October on a medical leave, so you would think I would have endless time to write; but honestly I just didn’t have my it in me. I needed a time out. Anyway, enough about that. Let’s focus on the reason for my post today.
My daughter had recently expressed her thoughts on updating her room. She was getting tired of the pink walls she had originally requested. In all fairness, I was quite tired of them too. Her and I sat down and talked about what she wanted for her room. She already had quite a few “Flower” things and still wanted to keep those, as well as the pink and purple color theme. Mainly, she wanted to paint the walls. I can handle a can of paint so I got to work finding ideas and inspiration. Before we start getting into it, here is a refresher of her room before we started the makeover. There were a few updates that took place AFTER that post, her dresser was replaced with a shelving unit, her bed was also updated from a captains bed to a trundle bed from IKEA.
Alright, let’s get started!
We painted over the pink walls with two coats of Behr Ultra paint (my favourite). The color is “Planetary Silver” (N460-2 is the color code in case you’re interested). I wanted something very light and fresh, while remaining neutral. I assume that in a few years she will be sick of the flowers, and grey will hopefully go with whatever she picks next as well.
Next up, I had researched decals for the walls (instead of putting tons of holes in my newly patched walls to hang art). I looked high and low and finally fell in love with urban walls. If you haven’t already, you need to check out their “Garden Flowers”, I saw them and immediately knew I had to get them for K’s walls. They were too beautiful to pass up! I went with their soft pink garden flowers and a pack of their mini pastel garden flowers. I went a little overboard with the decals. Honestly I could have downgraded to a half order of the large flowers, or kept the full order and omitted the mini flowers all together. But, I made it work!
When I received the order I cut every single flower and leaf out. I didn’t leave much background as it made it easier to map out on the wall without too much extra backing. I picked my “favourite” flowers for her bed wall – as its the first wall you see when you walk in. I really wanted to make sure it was perfect. I used my “leftover” flowers on the opposite wall to finish the look.
I used painters tape to map out on the wall beforehand. I placed most of the flowers first, then came back and filled around them with the leaves/greenery. I snapped some photos and left her room alone for the rest of the day. The next morning I got up and headed in to have another look (with a fresh pair of eyes) and finalized the design.
The application was very easy! I do admit it took a bit of time, mostly because I didn’t want to make any mistakes or lose any decals. I started at one end and basically just made my way to the other. Keep in mind that if you want a leaf to be tucked under a flower, the leaf decal has to be placed first, and the flower on top. These decals are really sticky and not reusable so peeling it off and trying to move it isn’t really an option.
I added a mirror outside the closet for getting ready for school. I also got an area rug for her room too. I didn’t want anything too big, but I thought a comfy place on the floor was definitely needed. I went with a 3X5 and am very happy with it. The rug is from Rugs USA, if you are looking to purchase the exact one pictured below, here is the link.
Other than the rug, she already had all the pillows, the nightlight, the bedding, etc.
To end the post I will share a few more photos of the finished room. Hope you all enjoy it as much as Kennedy and I do. If you have any questions or if there is anything I forgot to include, please feel free to leave me a comment below.